We have extensive experience of working with Old Master and Modern works of art and choosing appropriate frames for them.
Services offered include
- Choosing appropriate antique frames from our stock
- Searching for old frames for specific requirements, using our extensive contacts
- Condition reports on antique frames, advice on repair and conservation of antique frames
- Adjusting old frames for size and making all types of repairs to frames
Manufacture of picture frames of all types
- Simple moulding frames, painted or gilded; hand run moulding frames, polished, painted and parcel-gilt or gilded
- Dutch style veneered frames, with scraped mouldings,polished hardwood
- Part-carved and fully carved frames — all frames are made, gilded and finished by hand, using traditional techniques and materials.
- Frames are finished to the client’s specification but in general we try to make copy frames as close as possible in appearance to the antique original from which they are taken.
Other framing services
- In addition to sourcing and making picture frames we also undertake repairs to clients’ own frames
- Cleaning, repair of damaged or lost ornament
- Repairs to gilding or full re-gilding when necessary
- Alteration of size/ fitting slips or liners
- Supply handmade nameplates
- Preparation for fitting artwork and hanging
We can also
- Supply and fit various sorts of speciality glass and perspex (low reflective — UV filtering — shatterproof)
- Supply washed and conservation mounts for watercolours
- Recommend highly experienced restorers of paintings and works on paper
- Arrange specialist delivery and hanging of paintings
- Arrange specialist packing and shipping worldwide
- Operate the espresso machine in the basement, when asked
In addition, we are very happy to put clients in direct contact with any of the individuals or businesses that we work with, or to give advice on any aspects of the presentation or hanging of paintings not covered in the above.
Where possible we try to find a second hand or antique picture frame for clients’ works of art — old frames always look better than reproductions and often work out cheaper.
Prices for second-hand and antique frames range from £300 to over £3000 and depend on the rarity of the frame and its quality. A price is fixed also for any work that needs to be done to the frame.
While cheaper reproduction frames may be only £120, large fully carved frames, gilded and requiring many hours of work can cost several thousand pounds. Estimates are always negotiated before the work is carried out and — stuck to.
Full terms and conditions of business are available on request.